Girl in life-threatening sepsis struggle 14 months after beauty process

Doctors have issued a warning over buttock fillers after a 29-year-old woman suffered sepsis 14 months after undergoing the cosmetic procedure.

Dr Siobhan Quirke and colleagues from the St James Hospital in Dublin disclosed how the woman needed hospital treatment for the potentially deadly condition more than a year after having a dermal filler injection.

Fillers are used to enhance the buttocks and vary by brand. They are intended to give shape without the need for a full surgical procedure.

The woman, with no previous medical history, was taken to A&E after developing an abscess at the site of the injection. Medics found the area was surrounded by 15cm of cellulitis – a skin infection that can become life-threatening.



Girl in life-threatening sepsis struggle 14 months after beauty process, dermalfillerbeforeandafter
Medics found the area was surrounded by 15cm of cellulitis – a skin infection that can become life-threatening.

Blood tests revealed high levels of white cell blood cells and C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation. Samples showed the infection was caused by the bacteria staphylococcus lugdunensis, which can cause a wide range of infections, and pseudomonas oryzihabitans, a rare cause of skin and soft tissue infection.

After five days, the abscess was drained again and 500ml of dead tissue and filler was removed.

The patient, who does not wish to be identified, was given intravenous antibiotics and needed a further six weeks of antibiotic treatment at home but is now well and her wound has completely healed.

Speaking ahead of the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Dr Quirke suggested that complications following use of injected dermal fillers are rare.

She told the conference: “However, complications are increasing as fillers become one of the fastest growing cosmetic procedures. It’s something both cosmetic patients and health professionals need to be aware of.

“The reason for the substantial delay between surgery and infection is not clear but may be due to the unusual organisms that can live on the surface of the dermal filler (known as a biofilm).

“Pseudomonas oryzihabitans is an unusual cause of human infection, but in recent years it has become increasingly linked with hospital-acquired and opportunistic infections. Thankfully, treatment is not difficult due to the low level of resistance to common antibiotics.

“Nevertheless, this case serves as a reminder that it’s important to choose a reputable cosmetic surgeon.”

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *